Crestwood was actually originally known as Beard’s Station during the early days of the railroad in the 1850’s. During that time, much of the countryside landscape was vast hardwoods. In 1839, Joseph Beard purchased 263 acres to farm in and around the area now known as Waldeck Farm. Throughout the years, he accumulated vast tracts of land and through his foresight and philanthropic disposition, became a potent factor in the development of the community. Joseph Beard took advantage of the fact that the railroad was being extended from Louisville to Frankfort. He demonstrated his public spirit by donating ground for the railroad. He built a warehouse where the rail line and Kentucky Highway 329 intersect which became the station. Beard became one of the few individual owners of a railway station in his day, known as Beard’s Station.
*Photos courtesy of the Oldham County History Center